Sunday 6 December 2015

Fame

Hello everybody,
Today I decided to write about my obsession about celebrities. I don't know if its only me or if it is a common thing, whenever I discover a new celebrity, I first like some work of theirs, then stalk them, get obsessed for a week/month, get jealous, compare my life with theirs, try to find an explanation as to why I'm not as successful as they are and feel depressed about life. At this point, I usually find something I think I'm slightly good at as compared to the general public, work at it like someone possessed for a week/month, feel better and stop pursuing the activity.
Currently, I'm at the 'compare my life with theirs' phase. I know what's coming up next and I'm not too happy about it.
Why am I obsessed about being famous? I want to know what it feels like to have thousands of re-tweets and tens of thousands of people favoriting your tweet each time you tweet. Waking up to a thousand new subscribers on YouTube, hundreds of comments saying 'You're the BESTTT', 'I LOVEE YOU' 'Amazing work' etc. But after a point, does it start to feel meaningless? But still, getting such encouragement from thousands of people for the work you do must feel pretty amazing. I too work. The only return I get from it is a salary. I'm sure there isn't a soul who admires the code I write or is jealous of me because I built a super awesome app (I didnt... hypothetically speaking). Celebrities get to do what they love the most, get paid more than well, AND get the adoration of millions! How lucky are they!? I agree, superstars lose all their privacy, need to be careful about every action of theirs, don't exactly get to do what they love, have other people directing every move of theirs' etc. I agree that their lives have quite a bit of problems. But its not the super stars that I'm envious about. Its the moderately popular people that I'm really envious about. They have enough popularity to have a million followers on social media; but at the same time, they can lead normal lives without being surrounded by paparazzi the minute they step out of their house. (I'm referring to YouTubers, new singers, comedians etc here). Do all those comments by millions of "fans" have any significance? Does anyone actually care about someone who does not even know that they exist?
Are they really more lucky than me? Would I really be happier if I was a semi-popular person? Is it possible that I may one day become popular? (Considering the fact that I have no special talent that could qualify me to become popular, this most probably is never going to happen. This is a different kind of popular that I'm talking about. Not the Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs kind; but the Superwoman, Zoella kind.)
This post is such a mixed up random set of thoughts. I'm in a really confused state of mind. Maybe its because of my reduced interaction with friends off late (all thanks to exams :( ). Earlier, I used to have long conversations with my best friend on this topic and that would help me get over the why-is-my-life-so-miserable phase a little faster. Now I need to resort to my blog to do this.
If anyone actually got to this point, CONGRATULATIONS! You really are a patient person. If this post made any sense at all to you, let me know!
I have my finals in less  than a week and I'm rambling about fame. :/
Until next time,
Bye!:D

No comments:

Post a Comment