Monday 29 December 2014

The start of life as an adult

Turning 21 can be both exciting and scary at the same time. Adulthood brings with it both freedom and responsibility. As a kid, I used to think that becoming an adult was the best thing that could happen to anyone. Adults could do whatever they wanted, no one would scold them, they didn't have to go to school, do homework, write exams... how much cooler can life be?
 But now that I am an adult, I am starting to see the darker side of being grown up. I'm not saying that I don't want to be an adult... just that its not all that I had expected it to be. As kids, we don't have to think much about how any of our actions would effect our future (unless you get into jail of course!). We just have to follow our parents, teachers, study hard and have fun. But as we grow up, we need to start taking a lot of decisions each of which could be life changing. Deciding where to live, choosing a career, finding ways to grow in the chosen career path, picking a particular job over another etc are all huge decisions and could potentially determine how you live for the rest of your life.  It is possible to make changes later but it will result in you wasting valuable years of your life. As a teenager, people are more forgiving and mistakes are acceptable. But, when you become an adult, people start expecting more from you and hold you responsible for mistakes. So, it is important to think clearly, weigh all the alternatives before taking a decision. 
Negatives aside, I am enjoying the way people treat me now as an adult. When I walk into an expensive shop, the salespeople actually see me as a customer and attend to me unlike before when they treated me like some kid who they knew wouldn't buy anything. I also like the way my parents/ relatives take my opinion on issues seriously. 
I still haven't figured out much about being an adult, so I will keep writing about this topic as and when my view changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment