Sunday 25 January 2015

Family.

Hello people,
I hope you are having a great day! A close relative of my family had taken ill and we hadn't visited him because of my exams. They live in a different city and today we went to visit them.
As a kid, I never understood why relatives would drop in when someone took ill. Especially when someone died, lots of relatives would come and each time would ask how 'it' happened and the family members would painfully recount all the incidents. I always felt it added to sorrow rather than help them heal from their loss. Only years later, when my grandmother passed away did I realize, that although the family felt pain when going through the events of the day, relatives' condolences helped them in getting it out of their system. To give an example, when you say something once, it has meaning... when you say it ten times, by the end, it loses all meaning and just becomes a set of words. In the same way, going through the same sequence of events, helps the family come to terms with their loss.

Of course, I've always thought people visiting, showing their support helps one feel stronger. (I only had an issue with them asking questions. :P) I really felt that today. I usually don't like visiting people because it is a lot of effort; but today I was so glad I did. The warmth and joy totally made up for effort. I think it is important for us to visit people, meet them face-to-face more often. Parents push us kids to follow our dreams and fly... and we do that leaving them behind. A phone call or a skype call is nothing in comparison to meeting someone in person. As families are getting nuclear and isolated, I think we should try and help out at least when someone is ill or is in need of help.
I do see this kind of support a lot still, but I feel it is slowly dissipating. I hope people continue to value human relationships more than materialistic things.
Phew!... that was quite deep. On a lighter note, we had a nice journey, it had been a very long time since I had taken a long road trip with my family. We took Tessy (our pet dog) along so it made the visit even more fun!
Have a nice day!
Bye. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment